Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Nighttime in Alaska







This picture was taken from the stairwell of our apartment at around 10:30 pm. It's kind of blurry, but the colors are pretty.

And we've still got more than a month to go until the Summer Solstice. This was taken about a week and a half ago, so you can imagine with how quickly it changes what it must be like now. I was exercising at 10 pm last night because it felt like 6 pm.

One of my coworkers was telling me about how one summer he was out mowing one of his fields and didn't hear his wife yelling at him until he shut it off and came in for a drink. She told him, "Don't you realize that it's midnight?"

In other unrelated news, there's a possible change on my horizon at work. They're creating new positions called regional office managers. In a nutshell, I could potentially be in charge of the stores' office managers in Alaska, maybe even a few other states. Always available for answering questions, traveling to new stores or just to train new office managers, stuff like that. On top of my current duties as office manager in Wasilla, of course.

I think they're wanting to cut down on the amount of cross country traveling the field office manager currently does. If that's so, they better make Alaska a region unto itself. There is no cheap way of traveling in and out of Alaska!

I'm going to apply and see what it's about. Won't know until later in the month. The regions and the pay rate seem to depend on who applies.

Let's see. Any other interesting tidbits? Well, the local theatre is going to be doing The Spitfire Grill for their yearly musical. I'd never heard of it, but I jumped at the chance to buy the original cast recording, sold only by one theatre in New York. But it's got Liz Callaway of Miss Saigon fame. Unfortunately she's got the boring ballads.

Don't get me wrong. I adore a good ballad. And Liz has a gorgeous voice. But some of the solo songs she sings in this recording leave me a little flat. Of course, knowing me, all it will take for me to love the songs is to have to learn them and sing them for a few months. I'm wishy washy like that. The rest of the songs are lovely, very folksy and countrified without being country, if you know what I mean.


Now I'm starting to babble. When I'm not even making sense to myself, it's time to move on. I need to revamp my resume anyway.

No comments: