Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Back with the Parental Units

Well, we've completely moved out of our apartment and in with my parents for the next month and a half before we make the final move to Alaska. The yard sale is already a dim memory, having been scrubbed away by the pain in my legs and feet and arms and hands moving all our stuff out in just a couple of days. Well, evenings, really. Last night we got back around 12:30 am and the night before we got home closer to 2 am. I'm sure the neighbors in our building were glad to see us go.

We didn't get much of our deposit back, but talking with our landlady about the whole thing, we're not upset with that. She was able to spell everything out to us, she gave us the material that shows what she has to do by law, and she listed everything being deducted from our deposit and gave us a copy, so we understand all that's being deducted and why. At least she didn't walk in and say, "It's a dump. You get nothing." I've heard of landlords that have done that, no matter how diligently the tenants worked to clean the place.

And my cats seem to be doing just fine. They're a bit shook up by all the barking dogs here at Mums and Daddums' house, but they're fascinated by the view out the window.

We're cramped, but grateful to Mums and Daddums for taking us in and giving us a break in our rent before we leave the lower 48.

I was so happy to be done with this whole phase of the "Moving to Alaska" plan that I took my best friend and her sister out to lunch today just for the pleasure of sharing food with them. It was short, but so much fun.

I start work tomorrow at my new management position. I work in Customer Service for a couple of weeks until the lady who is going to train me for Office Manager arrives and trains me for two weeks. Then I just work until we leave. I'm going to be very busy, but we'll be packing some money away before we move, so that's good.

I'm still really nervous, though. Worried that since I haven't been working at this place for six months that people will think I'm a lousy manager. At least I'm already familiar with most of the people and the workings. I just have to remember how everything works!

All right, enough of that stream of consciousness. That about catches up on the currentness of me.

Now, if only I could find my left shoe in this mess...

1 comment:

Miss Mel said...

... And it was a wonderful launch, er, lunch! Midge and I had such a great time. We'd forgotten how nice it can be to eat out, or even just take the time to do something frivolous. Thank you!