Saturday, August 11, 2007

This day kicked my...

... Grandmother! (High Society reference!)

I've never had a yard sale before. What a mind screw. You want to sell things for as much money as you can get away with, but I love getting things for dirt cheap at yard sales myself, and I love watching the little ones' faces when I give them free toys. Even my dad said I was great at giving away things, but I'm not much of a salesperson.

How true.

I was hoping more things would get sold, but I'm happy with what did. There was one dresser that had been moved so many times and was such a heavy, awkward pain in the grandmother to move that a piece of wood on the bottom got broken off. But someone bought the thing for $20 today and tossed it into the back of his truck with practiced ease. "How we wept as we launched him and so tearfully we cheered." Well, except without the tears.

There was one long lull that lasted about an hour and a half in the afternoon. At least three-quarters of the customers were Spanish speakers. It made communicating that much more... entertaining. I need to learn Spanish. If for no other reason than I'll know if someone is making fun of me.

It'll be interesting to see how tomorrow goes. I think around 3 pm I'll start telling people take what you want and put a donation in my can for our Moving to Alaska fund. Thank you and have a nice day.

I don't think people in that area are used to seeing yard sales along that road. Several times I'd see cars cruising on by and screech to a halt to turn around in the middle of the road. Not everybody bought something, but most people left with at least one or two items. One old Spanish speaking gentleman found my case of gel pens and I brought him some paper to test them on. I was a little surprised that he bought them! I had thought only kids would be interested in those!

This is definitely an experience I'll not soon forget. Not even after my full body sunburn goes away. Ouch-i-wawah!

More tomorrow after the final day of the famous Moving to Alaska Yard Sale epic!

3 comments:

Miss Mel said...

At least you won't be getting sunburned in Alaska! I hope all your yard sale wishes come true!

Miss Mel said...

We think your Furby may be possessed; he keeps waking up on his own without ANYONE even coming near him. Boy, does he have a lot to say! Do you remember what his name is?

Sparklecat said...

I think his name was Tolu Tah or something like that. He hasn't said his name yet? He used to say it all the time with me. He's probably lonely because I haven't replaced his batteries or woken him up for at least six months. Looooong hibernation!